Thursday 9 September 2010

Shadowing the Shortlist


So, there we were in a great big room; our collective feet aching due to a tube strike and surrounded by the great and the good: booksellers, publishers, authors, agents, poets, critics, champagne and canapés. How did four Rotherham library staff members get to be at Kensington Palace for the Booker Prize shortlisting party?

The story begins with Julie Hird, Reader Development Officer. Upon hearing that six library reading groups would be selected to shadow the shortlist of the Man Booker Prize, she put in an application to Helen Thomas of Opening the Book. After a tense wait, we were delighted to discover we had been chosen and invited to attend the shortlisting party on September 7th.

Our task now is to read (in our own free time: contrary to popular opinion, we don’t get to read books all day, unfortunately!) the shortlist; promote the prize in Rotherham ; contribute to the official Man Booker debate at http://www.themanbookerprize.com/ and pick a group winner.

So, who are we?


Julie Hird – Reader Development Officer
David Hague – Reader Development Librarian
Rachel Wade – Reader Development Support Officer
Angella Parker – Principle Officer e-library services

We all have different tastes in books and are looking forward to debating the relative merits of each title in a civilised manner. Hopefully there will be no need to resort to threats or physical violence to get our point across!

Keep looking here over the next month as we plough our way through the six shortlisted titles and post our reviews and thoughts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I'm very jealous that you went to the Booker party.

I've already read the Booker short list so I know that you are in for an interesting journey.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on all the books - good luck :-)

Angella said...

Awww - thanks Jackie! I’ll be posting my review of ‘Room’ soon…

I’ve just started to read ‘C’ so I think I’m in for a heavy weekend!
I'm trying my best not to get distracted by ‘The Slap’ (it'll have to wait till October, I’m afraid, as it didn't make the shortlist).

BTW - Good Luck with your own Booker Prize 'quest' :o)

Jules said...

I'm going to start reading The Long Song by Andrea Levy this week , I had mixed feelings about Small Island so am interestefd to see how this compares.. . . if this rainy weather holds out i'll be able to stay in and read loads!